Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Phone Booth at the End of the Universe


I stood in it and thought, c'mon...c'mon...let's travel in space and time, get me a couple of Companions and rock and roll...but, sigh, it was just the last dead phone both in Montana.

Anyway, after many requests, here's the work-in-process version of my Browning BLR "legal in ever jurisdiction" traveling rifle. It's in .223, comes with a 4-shot dreadfully expensive magazine, is just a hair under 7 pounds as it comes from the factory.


The custom fiberglass stock from MPI takes about a pound-and-a half off the laminate stock version. You'll note I had the ridiculously long LOP shortened, a recoil pad installed (not so much for the recoil as it "sticking" on the shoulder) and sling swivels installed. I have a Browning scout scope rail I will probably install, along with a 2.75 Burris scout scope, the same as the one on my Ruger GUNSITE Scout Rifle. If I go woth the scope, I'm going to try a set of Skinner sights as the BUIS. Sling will of course be a Rhodesian sling from Andy.

I hope to get this thing finished before SHOT, where I have a sinking suspicion I will see a production version! LOL!

Thomaston Man Arrested After Stabbing Watermelon 
A 49-year-old Connecticut man has been charged with threatening after his wife told police he stabbed and carved a watermelon in a passive-aggressive manner.
So this guy has been arrested, will probably lose his firearms rights and have his life turned upside down because he stabbed a watermelon in a "passive-aggressive manner." I'm personally not sure how to stab a watermelon in a passively aggressive manner. I once cut a watermelon in half with an old Mauser '98 bayonet, and heaven help me, I've shot numerous cantaloupes. I once carved a jack-o-latern, too...

This vid has been all over the Internet...would be really cool to "print" an ersatz 10/22 receiver.

6 comments:

Jasonfb said...

Reminds me of a guy I followed whilst working support at a tech company in the late 90's.
http://www.deadpan.net/mpb/

Wally said...

I'm sure it's a very small market, which discourages entry, but I suspect BLR owners would jump at buying bunches of reasonably priced magazines in 6-7 round capacity (or however long they can be made and not interfere with the lever).

Flash Powder Hal said...

Looks like pavement beyond the fence, that's not "desolate"! I visited the "Last Mojave Phone booth" in Joshua park a year before the BLM had it removed. That was TWELVE miles of deep sandy dirt roads, to answer calls from Germany, Kentucky, Pennsylvania ....

Anonymous said...

BLR magazine and "reasonable priced" are mutually exclusive concepts :-(

RSR

Anonymous said...

MB, that's a cool little trunk rifle. For some reason I really like this project of yours.

Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I'm a BLR takedown owner, and I've been thinking of getting an MPI stock on mine too. I was under the impression it would shave off 8 ounces at best. Is this a special stock?