Sunday, October 03, 2010

Is It Friday Yet?

I mean, no matter how I slice it, it's nowhere near the end of the week. In fact, unless I'm sadly mistaken, it's the beginning of a new week! How can that be? Does it have something to do with the end of Daylight Savings Time, or maybe the rising power of China?

So after a grueling week in a deluxe resort, hardening our arteries with Sputhern cooking and breaking clay pigeons, I was barely able to drag myself home and wanted nothing more than to sleep late. I made the mistake of visiting Weather Underground before I collapsed, where I discovered that Saturday was going to be a magnificent autumn day in the mountains, a day not to be missed. So by 6AM Saturday morning we're on the way to the cowboy match hosted by the Cheyenne Regulators up in Cowboy World north of Colorado, with visions of lovely blue skies and gold quaking aspens.

Autumn ended at the Wyoming state line. By the time we got to the range, it was fogged it, wet as an old horse blanket in, bitingly cold and — of course — windy. Like really windy, the kind of Wyoming wind that can find any tiny crack in your defenses (and since Indiana and I failed to bring iny defenses at all, those cracks were legion). The Cheyenne Regulators are a hearty bunch, though, and the club members assured us it would warm up, probably around July.

The match was fun, I think, although it rained procedural penalties on me...a good sign that my brain had failed to make the adaptation to winter shooting. BTW, the back-up back-up rifle, the Marlin 1894 .38, was a bit cranky on a stage when a piece of something or other — heck, maybe ice — got clogged behind the little lever dohicky on the lever that retains the lever when it is closed. Since the little lever wasn't levering, it wanted very badly to stay closed. Situation resolved with a heathy crunch and a shot of WD-40 to rinse out the remainders.

Got my FAL back from DS Arms with a new DSA scope mount and a mild trigger job. Am presently agonizing over what scope needs to top it. I'm halfway leaning toward the little Millett DMS 1-4 24mm, but that Burris 1.5-6X Tactical looks appealing (albeit expensive). After all, I'm not headed for Afghanistan next week, and the FAL was never designed to be a long-range tack driver. GUNSITE has a Major Battle Rifle class that I hope to film for SG 2012, and I plan to use the FAL in that. I want to get the gun debugged well before the class.

John R., I'm sorry I missed the conference in San Fran as well...would have loved to have been there, but my schedule right now is just brutal. Trust you'll be at SHOT next year. Working on THE BEST DEFENSE next week and the week after, then SG for the rest of the month. We'll be starting filming for GUN STORIES in early November. I plan to take Thanksgiving Day and Christmas off.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put one of the Millet DMS-1 scopes on my DSA FAL and it turned out to be an excellent choice. The low end is pretty close to a true 1X which allows me to shoot both eyes open and for the price it can't be beat. Thing is, the reticle illumination on that one is poor, you only see it in half light...but I find the dot and circle good enough once I trained my brain, it made the DSA a useful 3-gun rifle...

Gunmart said...

Go with the 1-4 Millet.... you wont be sorry.

Michael Bane said...

Okay, I'd say Millet wins! It's on sale from Midway this month, too...I was thinking of good QD rings...you guys got any suggestions???

mb

Beaumont said...

Please elaborate on "Sputhern" cooking. Is that a potato-based diet?

Unknown said...

I have an extra Millet DMS with rings you could try.

Let me know...

nj_larry said...

I would take a look at GG&G. Top notch products. I have their QD base and elected to use Burris Extreme Tactical rings on it but they have some other models with rings that might fit the bill for you.

Anonymous said...

Warne Rings or else get a La Rue mount...

Anonymous said...

Always happy with La Rue products and service.
Plus you'll get a tactical beverage opener for free!

Ratcatcher55

sara chen said...

As with women’s leggings, these seem to be designed to be layered with other clothing items, which do offer a little bit of modesty. Well, I’m not sure this is a trend that will take on, but if it does it’s certain to winter a whole new set of over-exposure solutions as we’ve seen with the camel toe! Moncler men Jackets , Leggings have been hot for women over the past few seasons, but I didn’t think they might extend to the other gender, at least not outside of sporting events that require down jackes, did you?
Stars are always exposed to dress sexy, but in the winter cold, like the design of Moncler women Jackets to help them wear down the United States and also warm. By the star like Moncler Show, which is a very strong brand.Do you even concern about what they are wearing or using? Do you know that which jacket brand stars love most? The answer is Moncler shop online

led said...

veste moncler femme
Moncler Enfant
doudoune femme
doudoune homme
moncler bulgarie
doudoune montclair
blousons moncler
Moncler
Moncler jacken
Moncler jacke
moncler daunenjacke
moncler weste

weddingdresses said...

nike cortez nylon
Reebok Easytone
The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.

sara chen said...

Moncler women coat are the most universal items of clothing ever created and are easy to be matched with a simple tank top. And this let many parents are deeply fond of Moncler Jackets, also.

This Moncler shop online
Long Women’s Down Jacket is specially designed for our mums, in view of their elder age and body condition. Its design idea is equipped with best warmth performance, modern shape and be durable, so as to protect the elder as a large extend. Its length can protect the age’s legs well, because their legs are becoming more and more cold- blooded. The two front pockets provide the big convenience with them, to put other accessory into, it also can warm the aged hands perfectly. In addition, its high warmth hood can keep off the cold wind from the order’s head. Its fashion design style is also accord to their temperament.

So if you don’t know how to select a present for her, this Moncler men down 2010 is a best idea. As in the cold winter, no matter where she can go, she can wear this fashion and warm Moncler jackets with her at all the times. Let’s give great mums’ our deep love.