Sunday, January 07, 2007

What Crimson Trace Doesn't Tell You...

So, my Sweetie said, we need to walk the dog.

It was 12 degrees; the wind is a steady 30 mph, with gusts to 60 and above; visibility from blowing snow is crappy! Alf the Wonder Beagle, who has a lot more tough than sense, was sitting at the front door wagging her tail and nuzzling her holstein cow sweater, in which she looks exceptionally fetching.

Well, that was darn fun! Ice froze on Alf's face, but she kept bounding along like a very small holstein cow on crack. While we were battling our way back, Mr. Clumsy here fell into a snow drift...unknown to me, packing my pocket, along with the Taurus snubbie, with snow.

So I have discovered that you can pack a Crimson Trace laser grip in snow for a while, and it still works! Even before you dry it off...don't try this at home, either! BTW, with a Marmot expedition down jacket, a raw wool watch cap (knitted for me by my Sweetie!) and heavy duty winter gloves, it's not so bad...strangely enough, I've been wearing Sig-Tac pants for hiking. They're cotton, but the weave is so dense they block the wind as well as non-dedicated clothing, including heavy duty Duluth Trading winter canvas jeans. You can use a set of tights under them and adjust to the temp pretty easily.

I never thought beagles were rugged dogs...I was wrong!

Been agonizing over which piece to take to Florida next week...probably just take a pocket pistol, either the Ruger SP-101 .357 or the Charter .44 Special Bulldog. That way I can wear shorts — and god knows after the last three weeks of shoveling friggin' snow I'm ready to be warm again! I figure there'll be more J-frames per square inch in Orlando next week than any other place on the planet, up to and including the S&W factory.

I suppose a little magnum or a Bulldog and three knives will get me home from a gun trade show. I wish I had one of those little Danish hand grenades with the 3-foot kill radius...perfect for the beach! Push come to shove, I can borrow an AR from my pal Scott S., who always drives to SHOT with enough hardware to take over Guatemala, or hook up with my IPSC buddies from the Old Days, who are generally over-armed.

I'm looking forward to the SIG FORUM dinner...the one we had in New Hamster a while back was a blast. I'm going to try and get some video of the 556 in action Wednesday at the Orange County Police Range and YouTube it ASAP. I'd love to shoot the Taurus .223 revolver as well, if for nothing else but the muzzle flash. I'll be making some announcements on the Internet project and some other stuff, too! And overeating...

2 comments:

Not Available said...

Tights, Michael? Tights?

Anonymous said...

What color are your tights, Michael?
Silk, cotton, Poly?, The world wants to know.