Thursday, January 04, 2007

Michael Janich info

I told you this was the best SHOOTING GALLERY/COWBOYS season ever!

The SG with blademaster and Masters of Defense Knives President Mike Janich, "How to Take a Knife to a Gunfight," ran yesterday, and I'm swamped with requests for more info — not just from individuals, but police departments and military trainers as well.

I thought I'd post all the info here as well.

If you get a change to take a class with Mike, or you get a chance to attend one of my upcoming SPECIAL WEEKENDS (just a tease...more later) either in Colorado or in New Hampshire, where Mike will be attending, don't miss it!

We will have the DVDs available ASAP...keep watching the site! We provide copies free to LEOs & military, of course.

In the meanwhile, here's some more info on Mike :

Check out Mike's Martial Bladecraft site for information on classes and background.

Mike's got some great books and videos out from Paladin Press, and they have an excellent interview with him.

I personally recommend his book KNIFE FIGHTING — A PRACTICAL COURSE and the FIGHTING FOLDERS videos.

Knife-wise, I've gone through Mike's 3-course sequence and have trained with several other knife/stick instructors (including the legendary Dan Inosanto). While my unconditional "first love" for a knife is the Balisong (and I have a bunch, including ones I've made) my personal choice for a knife for the last several years is the Janich/Mike Snody collaboration, the Yojimbo folder from Spyderco:

I have 3...one folder set up from my right hand; one folder set up for my left hand and a fixed blade Ronin (now discontinued) that I use as a neck knife. The Wharncliffe blade cuts insanely well, and the sub-3-inch blade is legal virtually everywhere.

Also look at the Blackhawk Blades' Crucible folder and fixed:

And the Kalista, Mike's current folder of choice.

Hope this helps!

3 comments:

Not Available said...

Great show with Janich. Cowboys was good also.

6-10pm Eastern, Wednesdays on the Outdoor Channel -- the only place to be! (well maybe skip the BR - wrong league)

Anonymous said...

I too liked the Take a Knife to a Gun Fight episode. A few years ago I took some knife training from a ninjistsu master. He grouped knife strikes into 3: (1) superficial cutting, (2) disabling cutting, and (3) fatal cutting. Mike Janich talked about cutting to make you assailant immobile, which are disabling cuts.

Anonymous said...

An EXCELLENT segment! Now, if only Mr. Janich would offer a basic class here in Colorado that I could take, I'd be happy.
DAL