Friday, May 12, 2006

On a More Cheery Note...


I just got my SIGARMS 226 back from SIG — I'd shipped it up for Bruce Gray's class rather than carry it since I had to fly through Boston. The guys at SIG "dinked" it a little beofre they sent it back to me, and I have to say they're World Class Dinkers. They smoothed out the DA stroke and lightened up both the DA and the SA trigger pull. It was good before; it's great now!

I haven't really said anything about Bruce's class, and I definitely should. It was excellent (as I expected, since I've worked with Bruce for two forevers). In fact, this should be the first class you take if you've never taken a class before, and it shoudl be a class you take every year or so to remind you that IT'S THE TRIGGER, STUPID!

I think I eneded up putting about 600-700 rounds through the 226 in the course of the 3-day class (we filmed one day, so that hardly counts). It goes without saying that the SIG functioned flawlessly. Insert bullets; pull trigger; bang! No surprises; no malfunctions; no drama. I like that in a service pistol!

I also like shooting 9mm loads in a relatively heavy gun like the 226...my poor battered elbow definitely thanks me!

The thing I really liked about the class was Bruce's drills for the trigger. This is doubly important when you're dealing with a "traditional" DA/SA semiauto like my 226 (or my carry 225). Standard fodder for the gun mags for the last 30 years has been, "Is it possible to master the double action-to-single action transition?" Well, with the right training, it's just not that big a deal. Tivo the Bruce Gray @ the SIGARMS Academy episode of SHOOTING GALLERY later this year and STUDY IT.

Meanwhile, the 226 goes back to duty as the Official Bedside Gun, with it's SureFire X2000 light, CT laser grips and full complement of Honady TAPS. I've said it before and I'll say it again — throw in a few 20-round magazines, and I'd go to war with that gun n a heartbeat.

I'm going to the range in a few minutes and run some drills on the 225, as well as with the little Detonics .45 and a couple of .44 Special revolvers. And no, it's NOT ON PUBLIC LAND, because the USFS has already closed all the nearby ranges. I get to drive an hour to Clear Creek Sportsman's Club over near Idaho Springs, where I'm a member!

Contact Bruce through the SIGARMS Academy. Then take a class; you'll be happy you did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that's the P226 you had at the class unless you pulled off the laser grips - How's the Lobster ?

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome. Really looking forward to the show and learning something. It looks like I'll have to look into one of these Bruce Gray courses. If Michael Bane, host of Shooting Gallery, says its good - it is!

Michael Bane said...

Naw, it's not my 226...just a photo I lifted off teh web...

The lobster is in the kitchen...sounds like some kind of spy phrase, doesn't it...

mb